Monday 27 July 2009

Paris: Eiffel Tower/Louvre/Tour De France

I spent Friday through Monday in Paris with the other students from Kingston.  I hadn't signed up ahead of time for the trip, so I flew with one of my flatmates, while everyone else took the train under the channel.  

Going to France was a lot harder than I expected, because I'd never been in a non English speaking country.  It's really overwhelming when no one can understand you and you have to navigate your way around, but I know it was a great experience.  

The weather was beautiful in Paris, it's a lot warmer than in London.  I'm adding a lot of pictures, because they'll do a better job of describing my trip.  

I spent a lot of time at the Eiffel Tower.  It was definitely my favorite part of the trip.  There was a large park about a quarter of a mile from the Eiffel Tower, and there is a perfect view from there.  We spent a lot of time just sitting in the park hanging out; it was really beautiful.  The Louvre was also amazing.  The paintings are stunning and a lot of them really look three dimensional because of the talent of the painters.  I tried taking pictures of some of the paintings, but it was hard to do them justice.  



This is a picture of the Louvre from the outside.  It is really massive and impossible to capture the entire thing in a picture, but this is one the entrances.  




This is another picture of the outside of the Louvre.  

This is just a picture of the river from the Louvre.  


This was my first view of the Eiffel Tower.  


This is the view that we had from the park that we spent a lot of time in.  The tower is lit up at night, and this is the best time to see it.


This is my favorite picture that I took of the tower.  


A shot from the bottom of the tower, but I'm actually still across the street.  


Me and one of my flatmates in the courtyard outside the Louvre.  That is only about a third of the building on that side, and there are two other equal sides to complete the courtyard.  Also, everything below us is a part of the museum, including the glass pyramid that you can see part of which is the center of the underground portion.


The ceiling in one of the rooms of the Louvre.  It used to be a palace, which is why it is so extravagant.


The Mona Lisa, which was hard to get close to.


One of the paintings, a depiction of Good Friday.


A piece of the Parthenon. 


One of my flatmates and I in front of Venus.


The Moulin Rouge.  We wanted to see a show, but the cost 180 pounds.



This is the house in Montmarte that VanGogh lived in when he first arrived to Paris.


The "Wall of Love" which has Love written on it in every known language on Earth.


The home in Montmarte that Picasso lived in when he arrived in Paris.


A home in Montmarte next to a vineyard.



The view of Paris from Montmarte.


Kirsten and I at the Tour de France.  I've never seen so many people crowded into a subway station as we did before this, but it was really worth it.


The leaders of the Tour coming into the finish line, where we were watching from.


A view of the tower from the park by the Tour.



I took a picture of this because it was my beef tartar from the French restaurant on our last night.  It was a piece of completely raw steak ground with some seasonings and it was really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment